What is an Overdraft?
An overdraft occurs when you don’t have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay the transaction anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways: We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account and we also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account or credit card, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices.
To learn more, ask us about these plans.
How to Avoid Overdrafts
- Track your spending.
- Online and Banking: Check your Available Balance before making a purchase. This could help you determine the amount of funds available for withdrawal, minus any items (preauthorized drafts or checks written, etc.) you may have outstanding that have not yet cleared.
- Text or Email Alerts: Sign up for Low Balance Alerts so you know when you’re at risk of overdrawing your account.
- Keep a buffer in your checking account to cover the unexpected.
- Use a credit card with plenty availability.1
- Transfer funds to your checking account from your savings account.2
- Enroll in No Bounce Courtesy Pay.3
Overdraft Protection Options
Family Trust offers an optional overdraft protection coverage called “No Bounce Courtesy Pay.” Review all options before signing up for these optional services. Enroll by phone 803-367-4100 or at any local branch.
|Overdraft Protection from Savings2 or Credit Card1||No Bounce Courtesy Pay3|
|Overview||Funds will automatically transfer from your savings account or credit card to cover overdrafts when there isn’t enough in your checking account.||
We will generally authorize and pay your overdraft items up to $600, including fees, when there isn’t enough in your checking account.
|What items are covered?||
If you elect4, No Bounce Courtesy Pay may also cover overdrafts for the following:
|What are the fees?||
1. Must be 18 to apply for a loan and qualification is required.
2. To set up your Savings Account as an overdraft protection source, visit a branch or call 1-800-367-4100. A fee of $3 per credit union transfer will apply.
3. You must qualify for No Bounce Courtesy Pay; however, enrollment is not required if you meet eligibility requirements. To opt out of this service, visit a branch or call 1-800-367-4100 to select unenrollment on the election form. Additional terms and conditions apply.
4. To elect No Bounce Courtesy Pay for debit card and ATM transactions, visit a branch or call 1-800-367-4100 to complete the election form. A fee of $32 per occurrence will apply if the transaction is $5 or more, not to exceed five overdraft transfers per day.