The holiday cheer is filling the air as Christmas quickly approaches.
Spending plan ✔
Christmas gathering plan ✔
Safety plan ?
People often don’t think something bad is going to happen to them, safety experts say. But during the holidays, most of us are busy, excited and sometimes a little bit careless. Use these tips to keep your family safe this holiday season:
- Beware of gift purchase scams where popular items are advertised, but scammers do not sell them. Use companies you are familiar with and research online retailers before making your purchase. Social media can be a good tool.
- If you travel, have some interior lights activated by an automatic timer. Have a family member or neighbor pick up the mail and newspaper. If possible, ask a neighbor to park in your driveway so a car can be seen going and coming.
- Avoid leaving gift boxes (especially TVs, computers, DVRs, etc.) on the curb or porch for trash pickup. This will let everyone know what new items are in the home.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. Use your debit or credit card when possible.
- Avoid posting photos of your Christmas tree filled with presents or newly received gifts of value (purses, TV’s, gaming systems, etc.).
- When shopping online and you work during the day, have packages sent to your office, or to a neighbor/relative who will be home. You may also opt to have packages held at a local center.