It’s easy to get caught up in the holiday rush. Don’t throw caution to the wind in an effort to rush through shopping. Use these holiday shopping tips to keep you and your gifts safe this season.
Shopping in Stores
- Try and do most of your shopping during the day. Or, if you’re shopping in the evening, park in a well-lit area.
- Don’t buy more than you can carry. Plan ahead and take a friend with you or ask a store employee to assist you with your packages.
- Keep a file with all your holiday receipts to verify alongside your credit or bank statements.
- If you are shopping with children, make a plan in case you are separated from each other.
Walking to and from Your Car
- If you are shopping a few stores in a day, do not leave packages visible in your car windows. Lock them in your trunk or consider taking them home.
- Keep your personal information private and your password secure. Do not respond to requests to “verify” your password or credit card information unless you initiated the contact.
- Beware of “bargains” from companies with whom you are unfamiliar—if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
- Use secure websites for purchases. Look for the icon of a locked padlock at the bottom of the screen or “https” in the URL address.
- Shop with companies you know and trust. Check for background information if you plan to buy from a new or unfamiliar company.
Enjoy your holiday shopping and always keep safety as a top priority.